Remember our recent camping trip to Pinnacles? What I did not mention in that post was the fact that we went during a high fire-risk time. What does that mean? No open fires!! It was our first time camping without a fire. We did bring our tabletop propane stoves to cook, but we were baffled as to how to enjoy our favorite camping treat – s’mores!!
Well after much brainstorming, Rachel and I decided to make tinfoil packets of chopped chocolate, marshmallows and crumbled graham crackers! Then we heated them in a pan on one of our burners! Clever yeah? Except I pulled one off the pan and laid it directly on the plastic tablecloth Rachel had brought, and BURNED a hole right through it! Talk about dumb.
Well to finally get to my point, I felt so bad, I wanted to replace Rachel’s camp tablecloth I had stupidly melted, with something pretty and homemade. Hence here we are at this post for a Do-It-Yourself Oilcloth Tablecloth! Phew! I know, it took me awhile to make my point…
After much browsing Pinterest and Google, I finally decided on a simple enough method I liked. Here is the link to Momtastic’s post on a DIY Oilcloth Tablecloth
I also browsed the web for places to buy pretty oilcloth by the yard. Boy there are a ton of options. I ended up purchasing the Seafoam Dot Pattern and Beige Dot Pattern from Fashion Fabrics Club. Yeah I made one for us too!
The jumbo Ric Rac I ordered from Amazon
I measured and cut about 96″ (8 feet) in length and left the width what it was – 48″(4 feet). Then used a large dinner plate to draw out the curved corners and trimmed them.
Since I had most of our living room cover in oilcloth, this one had a field-day running and rolling all over it!
It was a little tricky sewing the ric-rac to the edges of the tablecloth. On the first one I had trouble keeping my sewing line on the inside edge. Whoops. But I got the hang of it after a few hiccups! And the finished product looked just lovely. If you don’t scrutinize too closely…
I had a bunch of leftover material so I decided to sew up a simple pouch for the tablecloth. After folding it up I measured out a rectangle that would fit the dimensions my folded piece. I came up with a rectangle measuring 23″ x 15.5″. Folded it into thirds and sewed it up right sides facing then turned it right side out. I eyeballed a lot of this part.
I decided it needed a trim so I used some of the extra coordinating ric-rac and sewed it on the flap edge. Voila. Total overkill for a camp/picnic tablecloth!
It’s so pretty I’m actually reluctant to take it camping with us now and get it all dirty!!